1961 Isetta 3-Wheeler
Registration No. 472 DOF
Chassis No. 328518
Engine No. 328518
Isetta GB commenced manufacture of the three-wheel BMW ‘bubble car’ under licence in 1957 in the former LB&SC Railway works in Brighton. These British market cars were right-hand drive, with the front door hinged (with the steering column and controls) on the right. The engine was a 298 cc single cylinder air cooled 4-stroke, with a 3-speed and reverse gearbox.
427 DOF was first registered on 27 March 1961, has sliding windows and folding sunshine roof, and is finished in bright red with grey interior piped in red to match. The car was extensively rebuilt in 1990, and a photographic record is available to show the work carried out. In about 2003 the car was re-sprayed; recently micro blisters have appeared, but the general appearance is still very good.
The Isetta has covered only 242 miles since its 1990 rebuild, and the speedometer now reads 30, 388 which is probably correct. Recent work has included renewing the brake master cylinder and wheel cylinder rubbers and fitting three new tyres, a new battery and rear bumper. The Vendor reports that the engine runs very well, but the gear selector linkage may require adjustment, though this will hopefully be attended to before the auction.
A most attractive example of a rare car, particularly in desirable right-hand-drive form, benefitting from a substantial restoration some years ago and now requiring straightforward recommissioning to provide enormous fun when completed.
Several old MoT certificates, a V5c to protect the splendid original 1961 registration number and a record of the 1990 rebuild are included in the lot.