A substantially built car, typical of Rippon, in good order throughout & running very nicely after considerable work in recent times. This work has included a new cylinder head and block, pistons, etc, and many other less major, but still significant repairs, all documented and included with the history file that comes with the car. Has a lovely set of lamps, including P100 headlamps, together with twin side-mounted spare wheels. A good, clean, spacious, well-presented and very appealing example, with smart, cheerful and recent interior in blue leather, with carpets and headlining renewed at the same time. MoT tested until Novemeber 2013.
Chassis No. GXK25. Reg No. AWX 949. £32,500.
Snippets: Delivered to Scarcroft Manor which had been built in 1844 for Ard Walker, a retired wine & spirits merchant & which in 1935 was the home of Clifford Pitts Hare, son of James Hare, a wool merchant who in 1865 founded the Fabric Wholesale firm of James Hare. When James died in 1908 the firm was taken over by Clifford & his brother Arthur & in 1922 they became the first company outside of London to install a teleprinter link. In 1935 Clifford P Hare hosted (together with his brother-in-law Sir Charles Sykes) a dinner at the Savoy for the Yorkshire County Cricket Team. This was to celebrate the team winning the County Cricket Championship for the 18th time. The drinks at the dinner included 1929 Zeltinger Stephanslay, Bollinger Champagne & 1884 Courvoisier Fine Champagne Brandy. During WWII James Hare offered their entire fleet of cars at the disposal of candidates supporting the national government – complete with chauffeurs! The company is still very much a family affair as in 2000 James’ great-great-grandchildren Charlie & Saffron joined the firm. After only a couple of years GXK25 had moved to Aketon Close in the village of Spofforth to be with Edward Whitwam, the property was later the home of Sir K. W. Parkinson who was raised at Creskeld Hall which is better known as Home Farm in Emmerdale! During the 1940s & 50s GXK25 was owned by S. Silberston & Sons, a firm of tailors who specialised in providing the uniforms for members of the Royal Horse Guard. This elite company of horsemen was formed in 1650 when they were raised as a Parliamentary Army at Newcastle, Co Durham; they were originally titled Regiment of Cuirassiers (Cuirassiers means Mounted Calvary Soldiers).