Finished in Dunkblau (Blue/Black) with the original maroon leather interior in excellent condition throughout. It was imported to London from South Africa by a Nigerian Diplomat who used it sparingly and took great care in its upkeep. He stored it in London and had it maintained by Mercedes-Benz specialists, Portland Motors until 2004, the car was then taken to Mercedes-Benz specialists in Cardiff who stripped off the old paint, carried out repairs to the offside rear wing, repainted it, and also restored the interior wood to the highest standard. Once completed, the car was put into a collection of classic cars in the North of England and it has had little use since the restoration. The car is supplied with a V5C registration document, 12 Months MoT test certificate and invoices going back to 2001.
Introduced in 1956, the 220S saloon was one of a trio of new models featuring unitary construction bodyshells employing large, box-section side-members - hence the term ?Ponton? - the others being the 190 and 219. All-round coil-sprung independent suspension had long been a fixture of the Mercedes-Benz range and that of the newcomers benefitted from the newly developed single-pivot rear swing axle. Short-wheelbase Coupé and Cabriolet versions of the 220S soon followed. Luxuriously equipped in the best Daimler-Benz tradition, these superbly constructed touring cars were priced some 70% above the 220S saloon. In 1958, the 220 range was updated with a fuel-injected version of the 2.2-litre overhead-camshaft six, becoming the 220SE. Maximum power increased from 106 to 115bhp, and while top speed remained unchanged at around 100mph, there was a useful improvement in acceleration; the 0-60mph time reducing by two seconds. By the time production ceased in November 1960, fewer than 2,000 220SE Coupé and Cabriolet models had been manufactured and today these stylish and luxuriously equipped grand tourers are highly prized.