A large vintage open tourer with a large engine
Austin motorcars were manufactured from 1907 onwards. Herbert Austin had previously been general manager of Wolseley, and resigned in 1905 to form his own company. 1922 saw the introduction of one of the company’s great designs, the 20 hp model. The 20 hp had a 3.6 litre four cylinder side-valve engine. The cars were equipped with rear wheel drum brakes and a central gate-change four speed manual gearbox, and even with substantial bodies they could reach 60 mph. The Austin 20 was known as an exceptionally reliable car, some having reputedly covered over a million miles!
This car was exported when new to Australia and recently re-imported by Orchid Cars, the body is finished in green with black wings, with the interior in a green vinyl. A lot of cars were imported into Australia purely as rolling chassis and were bodied by local craftsmen, we must stress however, that this car carries its original Austin (UK) built body and has the correct Austin threshold plates in the door apertures. This car has all its original features including Smiths instruments, CAV lighting and electrical equipment, Zenith carburettor, vacuum tank, Watford magneto, and Sankey wheels indeed it is a very original car.
The last owner of this vehicle, who is now unfortunately deceased, was a devoted Austin enthusiast. He owned the car for over forty years! The car is mostly in original un-restored condition, and ready to be enjoyed as is or could be improved cosmetically.
It is a very, very large, rare and impressive car and sure to cause attention wherever it goes! Now MoT'd and UK registered, ready for a new owner to take the helm!
Will it fit in the garage?