Classic Cars for sale (2591)back to search
Chassis Nr GUL41
This car is a really lovely example, very handsome and well proportioned, being designed by H. R. Owen, through whom the car was sold when new. Wonderfully sound and very smart cosmetically, with excellent paint, chrome work and appealing brown leather interior. The dashboard, instruments and switching are lovely, as well as the impressive set of lamps, including correct, rare and desirable Lucas QK596 headlamps. Driving very nicely indeed, with a particularly smooth and quiet engine, following a recent overhaul. In addition, a few years ago, a new cylinder head was fitted and the car was re-wired. An overdrive unit is fitted, which is of great benefit for long distance touring, for which the sizeable fitted rear trunk and twin side-mounted spare wheels are also very useful! Complete with a buff logbook from the 1950s, a sales invoice from 1966 and various other documentation.
Chassis No. GUL41 Reg No. CYU 376 £65,000.
Snippets: Cecil Rhodes (Dormer)
The first owner of GUL41 was Cecil Rhodes Dormer – his father Francis Dormer was a close friend & business associate Cecil Rhodes – the pair had met whilst travelling from London to Cape Town on the “Teuton” in 1875. Francis became involved in the newspaper industry & when the publication “Cape Argus” came up for sale he approached Cecil Rhodes for financial assistance & he provided the funds for Francis Dormer to acquire the newspaper. Francis Dormer is accredited with bestowing the name Rhodesia on the area between the Limpopo & the Zambezi as early as 1891 and the name was adopted in 1897. When Francis & Agnes’ son was born they named him after their benefactor and in due course Cecil R. Dormer became an accountant and was a partner in Cooper Brothers & Co of London. His clients included companies such as Ariel Motors & Marconi Scientific Instrument Co. Upon Cecil R. Dormer’s death in 1951 GUL41 was acquired by the firm of William M Haggas & Son – spinners & mill owners whose involvement in the trade can be traced back to 1786 when James Haggas of Oakworth Hall married Esther Roper, a young widow. By the 1960s GUL41 was all at sea with D. A. Claxton RN who was stationed at HMS Caledonia – a shore based Royal Navy training establishment on the Rosyth prior to the car being acquired by Andrew Plotzke of Suffolk.
General InformationPrint this ad
Price: 65,000.00 GBPCurrency Converter
Condition: cond 2 Excellent
Contact InformationSee other items of this seller
Name: The Real Car
Country: United Kingdom
State or Region: Bethesda
Postal code: LL57 4YS
Tel: +44 1248 602649, +44 1248 600994