Classic Cars for sale (3605)back to search
1931 Rolls-RoycePhantom II Continental
Chassis No. 28GX
A fabulously stylish drophead, with beautiful, 'cutaway', shapely and curvacious wing design, complimented by separate running boards, themselves attractive. The coachwork was very well constructed by Tony Robinson, based on a Park Ward original design, the work being started in the 1970s, as confirmed by correspondence and documentation in the car's file. As well as the aforementioned wings, lovely design features include louvred bonnet & scuttle, twin rear-mounted spare wheels, with quarter bumpers, and a good deal more. Equipped with an impressive array of correct lamps & horns, including Lucas 'owl eyes' to the rear, as well as a very nice set of tools in the tray mounted in the side-hinged boot lid, the car is in excellent condition throughout, driving very nicely & sportingly, with the aftermarket overdrive is an ideal touring car. 28GX comes with two large folders of invoices, detailing a comprehensive and thorough programme of restoration spanning three decades. A gorgeous specimen!
Chassis No. 28GX Reg. No. ESJ 419 £240,000.
Snippets: Vedonis - Underwear of the Gods, a Military Cross & a Brooklands Racer.
In the summer of 1931 28GX was delivered to George Spencer (1868/1946) at his home in Lutterworth, his wealth was achieved through his dyeing, hosiery & fabric factories in the Nottingham & Lutterworth area to the extent that in the 1920s he built himself a “Gentleman’s Estate” known as Auburn which included Auburn Lodge (for his chauffeur) and Auburn Farm. – the cost then was some £28,000! The adverts for his underwear (vests, knickers, combinations) were, at the time, considered “racy” with the slogan “Next to myself I like Vedonis”. The Vedonis name was made up of Venus & Adonis and their products were known as being top quality. It would seem that George only kept 28GX for a few years before it was acquired by Gerald E. W. Potter, an Officer in the Grenadier Guards. He resigned his commission in 1936 but rejoined his regiment in 1939 due to the onset of WWII; in February 1944 he was awarded the Military Cross in recognition of his actions in the Italian campaign of the previous autumn. Again 28GX did not stay long with Gerald Potter and by 1936 the chassis cards show that Robert Robertson Shersby-Harvie was the new owner. Robert Shersby-Harvie was well known for racing in the early days of Brooklands and in the 1st BARC meeting of 1914 he raced a 8.5ltr Itala (earlier raced in 1913 by Antonio Moriondo) the car was painted pink & black to match the driver - at this meeting the car did 3 laps in excess of 100mph winning the “100 Long”, later that year the Itala was timed at 119.5mph over a half-mile. Robert Shersby-Harvie’s racing stable included a 3ltr Calthorpe & a 6.25 ltr Rolland-Pilain “Buster” with which he won the 1914 Private Competitors’ Handicap at an average of 91mph - some laps he achieved 99.81mph! Robert Shersby-Harvie continued his love of speed by serving with the RNAS during WW.
General InformationPrint this ad
Model: Phantom II Continental
Price: 240,000.00 GBPCurrency Converter
Condition: cond 1 Exceptional
Contact InformationSee other items of this seller
Name: The Real Car
Country: United Kingdom
State or Region: Bethesda
Postal code: LL57 4YS
Tel: +44 1248 602649, +44 1248 600994