Classic Cars for sale (4596)back to search
Chassis No GZR34
An unusual, sweet little two door, four seater, used enthusiastically by the last owner for club events, rallies, etc, since buying it from us in 2011. Appealing features include twin side-mounted spare wheels, a lovely set of original instruments, a correct set of head lamps, side lamps and 'divers helmet' rear lamps and a Klaxon horn as well as a bulb horn. Sensibly, the car is fitted with flashing indicators - a very good idea when used in modern traffic conditions. In some ways even more importantly, the car has an overdrive unit, very much relaxing and improving cruising speeds. We have just completed an engine refurbishment which included a re-bore, new pistons and new big end bearings, etc. Offered prepared, serviced and newly MoT tested.
Chassis No. GZK34 Reg No. YH 623
SNIPPETS: Radar, Timber Mills & Audubon
The 1st owner was A. S. Marsh of Northmead, Gore Hill in Ashford, Kent. Very little is known of the Marsh family other than in 1929 their telephone number was Ashford 330 & the earlier occupier of Northmead was Walter Ebenzer Pledge whose family had run a very successful seed & corn business from the early 1800s & in 1890 they started their milling business with some 70 employees. After just 4 years GZK34 was acquired by Capt C. P. Davis of Deal, and within a year GZK34 was sold to Col Walter Churchill Hale (1881/1967) who in 1917 was awarded the MC with a bar added in 1918 & in 1919. By 1933 the car had left the army & joined the Airforce with her new owner Sqd Ldr Keith Alexander Black Gilfillan who during WWII worked with radar. By 1946 he had been promoted to Wing Commander & upon his retirement from the RAF he worked for Henry Hughes & Son, a company formed by James White & William Thompson (later Baron Kelvin of Largs) –both of Glasgow; today the company is known as Kelvin Hughes Ltd & continues to supply the MoD. GZK34 was with Wg Cmdr for almost 20 years before she was acquired by D F Burton of Beare Green in Surrey – (named after a 13th Century landowner Walter de la Bere). During the 1960s the car was exported America & one notable owner was Louise Hauss, wife of David Brent Miller of T R Miller Mill Co which is one of the oldest Timber Milling companies in business today (est. 1848). Louise & David were avid collectors of work by John James Audubon (1785/1851) who is universally recognized as providing one of the earliest & most accurate records of American wildlife; this collection of Audubon artwork was gifted to Auburn University in 1992 by David & Louise’s granddaughter. After the Miller’s GZK34 went to reside with Phillip Wichard of Huntington, a classic car collector – when his estate was auctioned in April 1995 (prior to his death in Sept 1995) the 47 cars realised in excess of £2million with the star of the auction being a 1929 Bentley 4 ½ Phaeton.
General InformationPrint this ad
Price: 44,500.00 GBPCurrency Converter
Condition: cond 4 Good
Contact InformationSee other items of this seller
Name: The Real Car
Country: United Kingdom
State or Region: Bethesda
Postal code: LL57 4YS
Tel: +44 1248 602649, +44 1248 600994