Classic Cars for sale (6155)back to search
1937 Rolls-Royce25/30 Thrupp & Maberly Sports Saloon
A handsome car in good order, finished in dark green with brown leather interior. The car is driving very nicely, performing just as it should, all instruments giving correct readings, and cruising nicely at 55-60mph in a very relaxed fashion with the recently fitted overdrive engaged, making the car well suited to longer journeys and touring. Another sensible upgrade is the fitting of flashing indicators all round, the front ones being incorporated into the original sidelights. The frontal aspect of the car is particularly impressive, with its correct P100R headlights and long trumpet horns. A large box of history files, which include a great deal of information regarding maintenance, repairs, etc, both in terms of invoices and photographic records, etc, accompany the car. As well as this, there are old photos, letters and all manner of interesting background information. The last owner of the car initially bought it in 1966, taking it to the USA later that year, where it was sold on in 1969. In 2010, it was re-united with the same owner, who then kept it for nine years, until 2019. Amongst the paperwork, we have a complete ownership record from new to the present day.
Chassis No. GRP29 Reg. No. ELD 666
Snippets: Stone, Tweed & Furniture
The early owners of GRP29 included Bernard Davis whose father Sir Arthur Charles Davis (1901/1973) was the founder of The Atlas Stone Company – manufacturers of Portland Cement. In 1929 the firm produced the first asbestos cement sheets and during WWII their products were used to repair war damage but they also manufactured air raid shelters. In 1929 Bernard Davis became an Executive Director of the firm alongside his older brother Gilbert, the family residences included Stone Castle and Barrington Hall – during WWII the RAF occupied Stone Castle & erected an anti-aircraft gun and shell bunker in the grounds! In 1954 GRP29 is shown as being with George Robert Bill – the family firm of W. Bill Ltd was founded in 1846 by William Bill & was located in Mold, North Wales. The shop started by selling Welsh blankets and flannels but when they moved to Tenby they expanded into the Tweed market. In 1892 William Bill (the younger) relocated the company to London & their clientele included names such as: Picasso (jacket), Sir Ernest Shackleton (jumpers for the Antarctic) & Sir Edmund Hilary (jumpers for Everest)! Within a year the car has been sold to its 3rd owner Christopher Percy George Vine, he was a furniture designer who exhibited his wares at the 1937 British Industries Fair under the section of Dining & Drawing Room Furniture. After Christopher Vine’s death in 1963 the car was sold by his widow, Agnes Ida Vine ,to Arthur Gilbert Smithers also of High Wycombe who only kept GRP29 for a few months before it was acquired by Thurston Stewart Cocker of The Estate House, Wingerworth Hall in Derbyshire.
General InformationPrint this ad
Model: 25/30 Thrupp & Maberly Sports Saloon
Price: 48,500.00 GBPCurrency Converter
Condition: cond 4 Good
Contact InformationSee other items of this seller
Name: The Real Car
Country: United Kingdom
State or Region: Bethesda
Postal code: LL57 4YS
Tel: +44 1248 602649, +44 1248 600994