Classic Cars for sale (6110)back to search
1951 BentleyMK VI 'Big Bore' 4½ litre Radford 'Countryman' Estate Car.
Chassis Nr. B40MD
A fabulous example of a rare and desirable coachbuilt ‘Countryman’, which amongst other things, includes a ‘kitchen sink’ incorporated into the drop down part of the double opening tailgate, as one of its fixtures and fittings! Various built-in storage compartments (including a couple of hidden ones) and fold flat rear seats complete the picture. A sought-after 4½ litre version, the car comes with restoration invoices totalling nearly £200,000, which will give you an indication of the condition and quality, which is excellent. As well as being exhibited at the 1951 & 1952 Olympia Motor Shows, the car participated in the 1954 Monte Carlo Rally, and we have a lovely photo showing it rounding a bend at the event. According to a book entry, it seems that it also won an elegance award there. In fact, following research, we have gathered a good deal of history relating to this car, which we are more than happy to share and pass on to the new owner.
Chassis No. B40MD Reg. No. OWX 710
Snippets: Monte Carlo & Castles
After having been Radford’s demonstrator for 3 years B40MD was entered in the 1954 Monte Carlo Rally with Brian McCartney-Filgate (Lagonda dealer) and Major R. W. Holmes, as entrant number 201 they started the event from Glasgow with a final placement of 108th out of 383 starters! Competitors that year included Sterling Moss, Mike Couper and Greta Molander. From 1954 until 1967 B40MD was with John Cleland of Stormont Engineering whose firm sold Fordson tractors & specialised in converting the tractors to use in the hop fields and orchards of Kent. This was achieved by lowering them by some 6” and narrowing the front axle to just 52” thereby having a reduced turning circle; of the 300 that were converted in the in the early 1950s a mere 20 or so survive today. In 1968 B40MD was acquired by Hylma Mary Payn of Burningfold Manor in Dunsfold, in 1946 Hylma (then Mrs Peel) had bought Lympne Castle from Henry Beecham a scion of the Beecham Medicinal family. In 1917 Henry Beecham had bought Lympne from Francis Tennant whose sister Margot was the 2nd wife of H. H. Asquith – Prime Minister from 1908/16. In 1959 Hylma put Lympne up for sale and moved to a smaller property “The French House”, by 1966 Hylma was at Burningfold Manor and 5 years later B40MD was with her son Richard Peel whose address was Lympne Castle Farm. Richard Peel kept B40MD until 1988 when it was acquired by Major H. H. Sykes of Craigdarroch House, Monaive -built by William Adam in 1720 for Alexander Fergusson whose family had held the lands for some 600 hundred years until they sold it in 1962 to the Sykes family.
General InformationPrint this ad
Model: MK VI 'Big Bore' 4½ litre Radford 'Countryman' Estate Car.
Price: 75,000.00 GBPCurrency Converter
Condition: cond 3 Very good
Contact InformationSee other items of this seller
Name: The Real Car
Country: United Kingdom
State or Region: Bethesda
Postal code: LL57 4YS
Tel: +44 1248 602649, +44 1248 600994